Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:31:57 -0500
There seems to be an urban myth in popular circulation about foundations being subject to being blown to bits or at least cracked open sufficiently for them to fail due to lightning. If this were a real threat wouldn't it be common experience with Ufer grounds? Can anyone provide a reference to a properly documented incident where lightning blew apart a foundation?

I'd be happy to abandon my current thinking and get on board with the lightning blows up concrete folks it there were sufficient factual evidence.

Patrick        NJ5G

On 6/26/17 11:23 AM, Clif Keely via TowerTalk wrote:
Reading through some of the comments here recently have me trying to recall
some of the comments I have read over the years.  I seem to recall several that
spoke to using 2 or 3 ground rods on a tower which might not be a bad idea.  I
should think one of the reasons would be to keep the discharge energy from
making steam within the concrete base and that explosive burst of steam,
producing a lot of cracking within the block and with that reducing it's
ability as a solid base.  I have no research to support this but offer it only
as a thought.  For myself if I hear thunder I disconnect antenna and power
cables. After that I keep my fingers crossed as I think lightning will do what
ever it bloody well wishes.