Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:07:48 -0500
N6RY wrote:

...."I used a single 8 pf insulator at the junction with the top guy
sections and grounded the far end. ".....

I'm not sure this is correct.  Steve said he said the top wire had 3
insulators. The next lower one had 2 insulators, and the bottom two
wires had one insulator.   The numbers you got were very similar to what
I got when I used only one insulator, but I don't think this is what he has.

...."I added guy wires to the 4 lengths you mentioned to reach a point
on the ground 120 feet from the tower in three
places. "....

This was confusing because he made us guess at where the guy points
were.  With the lengths he gave I figured he must have two different
distances for the guys, about 75 and 97 feet from the base.  Is this
correct Steve? I implemented the un-insulated lengths Steve listed, but
the end lengths are different from yours because the guy point locations
are different.

With the new model based on his last data (which is different from
yours) I get a resonant frequency of 1.94 MHz and an SWR of 1.23
(R=40.5).  So, no revelation here.  I'm still looking at this, but I
don't see the problem yet.  I don't think the 45 ft tower is a problem.
I don't see how you could load this enough to be resonant on 160.  I
even tried other things like a chain link fence or electric fence that
might happen to be resonant on 160, but there is so little coupling to a
horizontal wire that I don't think this could be a cause either.

Here are a few other minor points relative to the model:

For an equivalent simulation diameter for Rohn 25, I used the formula
given here:
http://lists.contesting.com/_antennaware/2002-05/msg00004.html
Equivalent Cylindrical Diameter = 2 * CUBEROOT [(T * F^2)/2]
where for R25, T = tube diameter = 1.25 and F = Face width = 11.25.
So equivalent diameter for R25 is 8.58 inches.
It's only a minor contributer, but I thought I would list it just for
informational purposes.

For an equivalent ground resistance using 40, 120 ft long radials, I
used a graph from the ARRL Antenna book.  That gives an equivalent of
7.5 ohms.  Adding another 20 radials drops it to 6.8 ohms.  This is also
just a minor contributor.

I also assumed the guy anchor points were not tied into the radial
system, so I added a best guess at the impedance of the anchor points
with one ground rod.  It didn't make any significant difference even
with large variations.

I'm not sure what the capacitance of a 15-3 insulator is and I don't
have one to measure, but trying various reasonable values made very
little difference.

Agreed that the feed point being 4.25 ft above ground is not a problem.
See info in my first post.

Jerry, K4SAV