Re: [TowerTalk] Wooden Power Pole Antenna Masts

To: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>,towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wooden Power Pole Antenna Masts
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:02:45 -0400
Poles are terrific if you can get them:  A. delivered, B. planted, C
stepped, D configured for rotator and mast properly level and plumbed.

120 footers are not common.  Look at what it will take to get it to your
place from the rail yard they drop it off at.  The cost of permits,
replaced stop signs light poles, overtime for traffic cops, permits, etc
etc will make the cost of Rohn 55 or 65 cheap by comparison.....unless
you live next to the rail yard and don't have to move it any distance.
Anything over 65 feet long requires extra special handling.   Once you
have done all of that call the pole people and ask for a shipping
quote.  Me thinks you will not like the response.

Now if you can have the local utility plant a few used 50 footers in
your yard for a few cases of beer.......but remember two feet in the
ground for every ten foot of pole plus two additional feet makes that 50
footer a 38 footer.

My first yagi was on top of a class 5 40 footer.  It was a used pole and
I had access to a line truck and a pole spoon.  In the 35 years since I
have always used stacked steel towers.  73 bob de w9ge