Re: [TowerTalk] re Wooden poles

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Wooden poles
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:32:07 -0400
Rob: That would be me.   I'm so sorry you live where you do.  Yes, many
places in this great country have changed to the point that a case of
beer won't get much done.  But, and it is a big but, there are places
where we still live that way.  I can buy anything in this area on a
handshake, get lots done for a case of beer or two and so forth.

I moved to MD eastern shore because of this.  I want to live where a
mans word was as good as his credit card and friends and neighbors help
each other.   I'll give two examples.  When it was time to plant my
first two towers I needed tower and guy anchor holes dug.  My neighbor
makes his living on a back hoe and I asked him to help.  He dug 7 holes
for me in just a few minutes (he is good) darn near at dark and then
would not accept any payment, saying that is what neighbors are for.  I
convinced him to allow me to make a donation to the kids college fund
for he would not take anything for his efforts.

Another story:  A few weeks ago my next door neighbor "acquired" 6 45
foot utility poles that were being replaced a few miles up the road.  He
is going to build a small bridge with them.  The local utility brought
the poles on a trailer, laid them across the creek with the pole truck
and drove away with a wave.

Similar  stories can be told  many many times over in the past few
years.  I accept the help and give it where I can.  I'm a very happy
camper.  I was born/raised in the upper midwest.  I would bet any money
I can duplicate my experiences there today as well. And so it goes.
What say guys and gals?

 73 bob de w9ge