Re: [TowerTalk] GAP Voyager failure

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GAP Voyager failure
From: Mahlon Haunschild <mahlonhaunschild@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:55:42 -0600
Chuck,

Sorry to hear about your Voyager failure.  That first coupler is
probably where most of the bending moments are greatest, so it doesn't
surprise me that it failed there.  The only other Voyager mast failure
I've heard of isn't relevant to this situation (that failure was during
a hurricane, and the antenna was erected).

<rant>
By the way... I wish you all the luck in the world getting parts out of
them... I've been trying to get a replacement tuning capacitor out of
them for three years, with absolutely no success whatsoever for various
reasons not of my making (failure to ship, out of stock, doesn't return
phone calls, doesn't answer e-mail [that includes a face-to-face
conversation with the owner at Dayton this year, I might add]).  It's
just a bloody damn shame that they put such an expensive product out on
the market with no support behind it.
</rant>

regards (and sympathies)
Mahlon - K4OQ

Subject:
[TowerTalk] GAP Voyager failure
From:
KI9A@aol.com
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2007 09:56:51 EDT
To:
towertalk@contesting.com

Guys-

I know the big Voyager has mechanical issues, according to some, but, I
was
raising one that was up at a previous QTH for about 4 months, with no ice
storm,  or wind storm damage.

While walking it up, about 3/4 up, the coupler between the lower & mid
masts
failed, and broke in 2.

Luckily, the only other damage was a slight bend on one of the tuning
rods,
and a little bend on the cap hat.

Anyone ever hear of a failure at that point of the antenna? Seems weird it
would fail there and not higher in the mast, where there seems to be a
much
larger load.

73-Chuck KI9A