Re: [TowerTalk] Green Power Lightbulb QRN

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Green Power Lightbulb QRN
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:27:03 -0500

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>> If you've been considering replacement of your current traditional light
>> bulbs in the house with the new whiz bang "Green Power" curly jobs before
>> your next favorite contest, DON'T DO IT (at least without some
>> testing-testing-testing).
>
> We've replaced nearly every light in the house with them that wasn't
> fluorescent to begin. End table, ceiling, bedroom, living room, ...there are
> very few incandescents left.
>
> The basement has something like 18, two tube (4') fixtures on 4 circuits. No
> incandescents down there.
> My computer/radio room has a ceiling light/fan with a 120 watt equivelant,
> the kitchen has 5 of the Green replacements, and the garage has 6 of the 150
> watt equivalents. I operate 160 through 440 and have not noticed any noise
> from them yet. As for the shop it has 11 two tube (8') 75 Watts per tube
> fixtures. I currently operate 40 through 440 out there with no electrical
> noise. OTOH when it's cold the mechanical noise from them is miserable.
> However when working out there the shop is heated in the winter and air
> conditioned in the summer.
>
> BTW in both the house and shop have two computers within a foot or two of
> the rigs and the network cables actually run a short ways with the coax.
> Most of the way the gigabit CAT5e network cables are separated from the
> station cables.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

Ditto that.

Just about every fixture in this house is now stuffed with a compact
fluorescent bulb. In the shack I've got a fixture with three 40W
equivalent bulbs right over the radio, which sits three feet from the
computer, router, switch. None of it generates noise.

The only fixture left in this house to "green-i-fy" is the dining room.
When they invent a CF bulb that will run on a dimmer that one will get
changed out too. No, the dimmer doesn't make noise either.

- --
R. Kevin Stover, ACØH