[TowerTalk] neat trick for finding true north

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] neat trick for finding true north
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@med.va.gov>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:40:56 -0700
Hi,

For finding true north, Someone passed this to me and it was very useful.
Sorry if it has already been posted recently.

Just go to:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/ <http://aa.usno.navy.mil/>

Click on "Data Services" and then click on:

"altitude and azimuth of the sun or moon during one day"

Then use the form provided to get a chart of the azimuth of the sun for any
given day and location.  NOTE: the default

"tabular range" is set for 10 minutes but you can change that for a much
longer or shorter table.  You won't see much

difference in 10 minutes so that setting worked for me.  NOTICE: The chart
it produces is Central Standard Time (in my case -

don't know if that changes to your own time zone so I had to calculate for
the fact we are in daylight savings time)

Then just take it out in by your tower when the sun is out and check out the
shadow cast by your tower and see if your beam

is lined up correctly.  Just subtract 360 degrees from the sun azimuth and
that should give you the true direction for the heading of

the shadow.

For example, for my location now the sun is at 137 degrees so my shadow on
my tower should be pointing at: 223 degrees

(137 degrees east of north - 360 degrees).  I could set my beam on 223
degrees and go out and see how it matches up with

the shadow.

(If I were at home dxing instead of here at work on my lunch time !!)

Gary Stone, N5PHT