Re: [TowerTalk] Swinging Gate Side Mount - Additional Turning Radius?

To: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Swinging Gate Side Mount - Additional Turning Radius?
From: N7KA@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:36:59 +0000 (UTC)

The top plate I use just has an approx 2.125 hole, no bearing, no etc.  The
mast extends about 3 inches above the top plate.The lateral movement is nil and
any metal to metal wear from rotation or lateral movement is negligible.  I
took this system down in summer 2011 to repaint.  The wear after these years
was negligible, ok, it did remove the paint.  Remember our systems rotate at
about 1 rpm.  My approx 16ft vertical mast is 2" od with about 0.18 wall.
BTW, this system has gone through many 60-70mph winds in our summer monsoon
winds of NM (also windy season is spring and fall).  I do not worry which
direction the antennas are pointing/parked.  The 2 side arms are about 6ft
apart.  Rotor, T2X, supports all weight.

This is a proven "KISS" system, 20+ years.

Oh, forgot to mention the tools needed to build this: tape measure, hack saw
and my drill press.

The antenna system, not a close up, is shown on QRZ dot com. One can get a
really rough idea.  I do not have a web site to post any detail info/pictures.
Have not checked steel prices but maybe $25 material cost depending upon one's
scrounging abilities.  I am building another side mount this spring, more yagis
to mount (can never have enough).

Arne N7KA