Re: [TowerTalk] water in coax

To: Martin Ewing AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] water in coax
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:15:15 -0800
Martin Ewing AA6E wrote:
> The pros often pressurize their lines, I believe, to keep water out.
> Have amateurs done this?  What would be involved?  PL-259's aren't going
> to help.
>
> 73 Martin AA6E

We have pressurized hardline at W6VIO, the JPL amateur radio club, but I
suspect that we're not exactly amateurs in the sense you mean.  In any
case, there are fittings made for this kind of thing.  I haven't seen
them for RG-213 sized coax, but I'm sure they exist.  They also are used
by telcos with multiconductor cable.  You don't need a lot of pressure,
just enough to keep stuff out.  Something could probably be improvised
using a compression "T" type fitting with rubber gaskets instead of the
usual ferrule.  Some fiddling in the plumbing department of your local
hardware store might find stuff that would work.

Tessco might have them.  I found all the compressors, etc., but I didn't
see the connectors/fittings in the catalog, but I'm probably looking in
the wrong place.