Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Coax at Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Coax at Tower
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:39:36 -0600
If you just use di/dt for calculating voltage drops on lightning
conductors you can get some very misleading answers.  Sure if you have a
known rise time and inductance you can calculate a voltage, but that
doesn't convey much information.  It isn't even the fast edges on the
lightning pulses that cause the most damage.  Those can punch holes in
you coax jacket, but they won't melt the coax (unless it happens to be
in the center of an arc).  The huge voltages cause big arcs, but most of
the damage is done by the energy contained within the wider pulses.
Those wider pulses may be up to 10 ms wide or more, at hundreds to tens
of thousands of amps.

So if you are trying to calculate voltages and currents on things you
need a tool that considers the whole waveform.  Also you need to decide
what the source waveform should be.  It will vary a lot at different
points on the tower and it will vary a lot between different types of
lightning strikes.  Many times you will see references to a standard
lightning waveform, but that is for a specific purpose, usually cables
on a power pole or in a conduit or something like that, with different
levels for different conditions.  A tower will be completely different.
It's out there in the open being hit directly so it is subject to the
entire wide variety of lightning waveforms that mother nature can
generate, and they are not nearly all the same.  Even the max current
pulse that should be used is questionable.  Current pulses up to 340,000
amps have been recorded.  Those are apparently rare (recording is also
rare), but what number should you use a design criteria? I would think
it should be something more than a typical value.  A tower will also
ring like a bell when hit with a strike.  Not only do you get the
initial pulses but you get some sort of distorted damped sinusoid
following that.

To complicate the problem even more, you have to calculate the induced
currents.  In a lightning strike these are NOT negligible.  Just ask
anyone who has some long cables near a strike, or has a house
wired-intercom and lightning happens to hit near the house.  Near the
tower, induced currents can be huge.

Once you analyze all this you can start to get a feeling of what is
really happening.  It's not a trivial analysis.  When you see cable
lightning currents calculated by very simple formulas, you can bet the
answers are completely worthless.

A couple of other points:

1. Obvious but worth stating:  For the high frequency edges on lightning
strikes, inductance always dominates the calculations for conducted
currents. However, as stated above those aren't the currents that cause
the most damage.  Also induced currents have to be added and those may
not take the same paths.

2.  You can reduce conducted currents on a cable by coiling the cable to
make a choke, but it is a two edged sword.  Reducing the currents
increases the voltage drop across the choke and it may increase
susceptibility to induced currents.

It is obvious that this gets very complicated when you try to calculate
anything.  It would be really nice if everyone was able to optimize his
tower system by calculating the expected currents on things, but it just
isn't going to happen for the average guy, at least not with any
dependable accuracy.  I'm afraid we are limited to the (hopefully)
overdesign by rules method.

Jerry, K4SAV