Re: [TowerTalk] 20M 16 El yagi

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 20M 16 El yagi
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:16:43 -0700
jim Jarvis wrote:
> I can see building this thing, if you lived in the black hole, or
> just wanted to run EU in
> contests.     But only at 50'?     I wonder if he modelled it to see
> if a shorter antenna @ 70'
> would have been better, at that distance?
>
> I DO know that I got my clock cleaned... err, freq. stolen...  by
> some W5 in arrl SSB, and
> didn't understand it until I discovered he was running 8 over 8 @ 90
> and 120', fixed into EU.
>
> I wonder what the half power beamwidth of that 16 element longboom
> yagi is!   Bet it cuts off
> parts of Europe you'd like to work.
>
> n2ea

Just as a comparison, I looked up some specs for long boom 432 MHz Yagis
with 16-24 elements using google.. Looks like that 16 el beast would
have a beam width on the order of 30 degrees.  call it half a radian.
So, if you have a path 2000 miles long, the half power width is 1000
miles wide. (yeah, plane geometry, approximations everywhere, etc... but
that's the general idea..)  I don't know that "cut off" is exactly the
term I'd use.  I am reminded of the stories about W6AM's farm o'rhombics
on the Palos Verdes Peninsula with the legendary (and non-existent)
switch for switching between the antenna for "north London" and "south
London"