Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning... and sub panel

To: "Wilson, Dion" <dwilson@oshkoshsv.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning... and sub panel
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:16:12 -0700
Wilson, Dion wrote:
> Good day all.
>

> I am installing a tower near a A/C sub-panel.  I have a field (6) of 8
> foot grounding rods around the tower connected with 6 gauge wire and 2"
> CU strap.  The station is on the second floor for now and the A/C
> service entrance is on the other side of the house.  It would be quite
> difficult to run strap or wire to the service entrance ground near the
> meter.  Is there any way to use the sub-panel for connecting all these
> parts?  The connection from the service panel to sub-panel is rated for
> 50 AMPS-220.  Any help or thoughts would be nice.

Electrical code generally requires a continuous (unspliced) conductor of
a particular size (depending on what kind of metal) to bond the various
things together.  If your subpanel has the appropriate conductor, then
you can bond your grounding system to that.

There's a "low voltage handbook" on the Mike Holt website
(http://www.mikeholt.com/) which is free for the download and goes over
all the grounding and bonding requirements for things like antennas with
examples, drawings, and code citations.

The ARRL handbook also has this information.

Jim, W6RMK