Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:53:21 -0400
Jim Lux wrote:
> Scott W3TX wrote:
>
>> The significant limiting issue for the light poles is the windload and
>> weight they are engineered to carry with regard to the appropriate
>> engineering analysis ie. EIA-TIA-222-F (or G, depending upon locality).
>>

> If you're talking about the poles with a cluster of 8 big luminaires up
> top, I suspect they've got plenty of load margin for antennas.
>
> They're typically mounted to a fairly deep pier or caisson (30 ft deep 5
> feet in diameter, for one I saw)

There's a lumber yard in town that has something similar supporting a
passel of cell phone antennas.  Like above the pier or caisson is
massive and DEEP.  They don't even wiggle in 70 MPH gusts.  The one I'm
thinking of was limited to either 160 or 180 feet due to proximity to
the airport, but gives good coverage city wide.  Of course if you fly
you find these things are like fleas on a dog. In this flatland towers
vary normally between 250 to near 500 feet. Except for the city it's low
population density (relatively) and the towers are spread out quite a
ways so they tend toward the taller ones.

Most are conventional guyed or large self supporting structures.

73

Roger (K8RI)