Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna noise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter antenna noise
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:12:49 -0500
There are a few details missing that may affect the answer.  Is the
noise atmospheric noise or man made.  "S9 hiss" doesn't sound like a
description of atmospheric noise.  Are you measuring signal-to-noise on
DX stations or local stations.  How high is the inverted vee.

A low inverted vee is a noisy antenna for DX.  A high one isn't bad.  If
you are listening to DX on the 40 meter element of a SteppIR, my guess
is that common mode currents are a major contributor to the signal you
are receiving.  Same as I found out about receiving on 160 using my
XM240.  It was better than a low dipole.  In that case the feedline was
the real antenna , not the XM240, caused by its balun not working on
160.  I even checked the SWR on 160 into that antenna and it was fairly
low, which is another confirmation that the common mode currents on the
feedline was a major contributor.  No I didn't try transmitting on it.
So, in this case a vertical had a better signal-to-noise ratio than a
low dipole for DX.  That should come as no surprise to those living in a
rural area.  If you happen to live in a city, then we may be talking
about a different kind of noise.

DC coupling the antenna should have no effect on the noise.  A double
bazooka configured as an inverted vee should have the same signal to
noise ratio as an inverted vee.  The double bazooka will have slightly
less gain, but the S/N will be the same.

Atmospheric noise has been pretty bad on 80 lately due to all the
thunderstorms.  A receiving antenna can help a lot, but when you have
thunderstorms close by and the receiving antenna points into them, there
isn't much more you can do.

Jerry, K4SAV