Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounding

To: Skip K3CC <k3cc@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower grounding
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 21:36:13 -0700
I have an Ohms Law question for you with respect to that comment.  Let's
assume the tower base is secured within the concrete (and therefore the
lightning has an extremely low impedance path into the concrete).  If
the ground wires attach to the tower above the concrete base they
provide a shunt path to ground that bypasses the concrete.  If the same
gauge and number of ground wires are attached to the tower but happen to
pass through the concrete, they still provide the exact same shunt path
to ground bypassing the concrete.  Can you or anyone else please explain
to me how there is any difference in the electrical paths?  Why would
the path through the concrete have any less shunting ability than the
one above it?   Please be specific.  If the wires vaporize as some have
postulated, they're going to vaporize in either case and remove the
shunt, and I can't see how they are any more likely to do so simply
because they pass through the concrete ... at least not in terms of the
energies involved.

By the way, every electrical code I'm aware of requires that the tower
be connected (Ufer grounded) to the rebar cage.  The electric potential
from lightning, induced or direct, is therefore absolutely going to be
available within the concrete, and only a significant shunt path for the
current is going to be able to protect it.  Polyphaser says that the
Ufer ground from the rebar cage is sufficient for that purpose since it
acts as a massively distributed shunt path through the concrete, so why
would additional ground wires running from the tower through the
concrete to ground ... an additional shunt path ... be a bad idea?
Please be specific.

73,
Dave   AB7E