Re: [TowerTalk] RG-8X vs RG-8 - LMR-400 ect

To: AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-8X vs RG-8 - LMR-400 ect
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 20:09:25 -0700
According to TLW, 100 feet of RG-8x to an SWR of 1.5:1 at the antenna
will give you about 1.7 db of loss on the 15 meter band, and RG-8 or
LMR-400 will have about 0.7 db of loss.  One db is just barely
noticeable for signals right at the noise level, but a person has to
work pretty hard to hear the difference (either at your end or the far end).

TLW says that 100 feet of good quality RG-6 has about 1.8 db loss, by
the way.  If you're not running high power it's probably the cheapest
way to go.  I think previous TowerTalk posts have even mentioned using
high power for modest runs of  RG-6 on 80m and 160m.

Dave   AB7E