Re: [TowerTalk] rotor control cable and the bulkhead....?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotor control cable and the bulkhead....?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 15:33:38 -0700

Or these from Array Solutions, which also include a capacitor across
each MOV.

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/surge_arrestor.htm#top%20of%20page

By the way, I use one of these at the top of the tower near the rotator
and another at the entrance to the shack.  You need to protect both the
rotator and the controller, and the inductance of the cable will hinder
a single suppressor from protecting both ends of the line from induced
transients.

Personally, I've found that the cleanest way to attach the wires to the
surge protector is to use short pigtails with a spade lug terminal on
the end, and then use a wire nut (well taped, of course) to attach the
pigtails to the two rotator cable wires (one going to the shack, one
going to the rotator).  It's the same method commonly used for
electrical sockets and switches in houses  ... except for the spade lug ;)

73,
Dave   AB7E