Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning suppressors???

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning suppressors???
From: Tom Cox <tomcox@iquest.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:25:16 -0500
I have both Polyphaser and ICE units. All are well-made, and I haven't
(knock wood, throw salt over left shoulder, etc, etc.) had any damage
yet, even when I had a 120-foot SSV, 50 feet from the house.

However, no such device will work without a low-impedance path to earth
ground that is common with all other grounds on the property, such as
power, phone and CATV.

Don't scrimp on ground rods, good clamps, and the biggest copper wire or
strap you can afford, to hook them all up, AND a commitment to maintain
all of it when it's installed.

QST just had a series of articles on lightning protection, and there is
a good reference section of the Array Solutions website on the topic.
Search Google, yahoo, etc., for much more.

I strongly agree with AA4NU -- "do your diligence."

73,
Tom Cox, KT9OM