Re: [TowerTalk] terminating cables and guy lines, nico and alternatives

To: Bob Maser <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] terminating cables and guy lines, nico and alternatives
From: chasm@texas.net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:15:22 -0500
Bob Maser wrote:
> Why spray at all?  Maybe if you live close to salt water but otherwise it's
> been my feeling that all that sticky s&%t just attracts airborne particles.
> 15 years for a set of galvanized aircraft wire rope left dry.  Making new
> cables only costs about $100(if you have the Nicopress crimper).  Another
> thing, some towers are constructed so that it is very difficult to get the
> cables off the tower sections to lube them. Just MHO.
>  Bob

ok, googling so far says that a #51 nico tool is going to cost at
least $100 (sounds like radio club equipment<G>) which is likely to be
more expensive to me than simply taking my cable specs to a rigger and
have a new set of cables for the HG55SS made.

I would rather do this myself but... looking at the economics of the
thing.. unless there is someone in the Houston area with a Nicopress
#51 for 3/16" cable... I think that I will get on the phone and call
around.  IF I was going to be guying (which would raise the overturn
velocity from 50mph for this tower to half again more plus), then I
MIGHT have more use for the Nico tool and it might make sense to go
ahead and buy the tool.  However, I think I would prefer to use
Phillystrand for its decreased detuning of antennas vs wire cables.

never saddle a dead horse...  I had no idea that there was a right or
wrong way to install those rope clips as some vendors call them.
how about Gripples?
http://versales.com/ns/specialty/gripple/gripple01.html
85% of the strength of the cable they are splicing or terminating.
and then Kwik Locks, up to 3200lbs breaking point with the KL200.

suggestions?
73 de chas k5dam Houston