Re: [TowerTalk] {SPAM} Re: hazer comments

To: bill rubin <brubin2010@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] {SPAM} Re: hazer comments
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:10:41 -0400
bill rubin wrote:
> sorry not 10% (#440) !!     example 1/4 at 60F is #670 tension

It is on mine. <:-))  1/4" Phyllistran is 4400# test, 5/16 is 6600# or
was when I installed mine. It's changed a little since then.
I think I mentioned in the original post that going to steel would
increase the load substantially.

It depends on the particular cable.   Wire rope varies tremendously in
strength over a range from less than 4000# to well over 10,000#
EHS I don't use except for the bottom guy ends. It's just too stiff and
heavy which makes it difficult to handle for a guy my age and size.
I have close to 100' of 5/16 out in the shop that I'll never use. Full
coil minus what I used for the guy ends.
But regardless of what size or type the figures were to illustrate how
much extra load those guys put on a crank up tower.

At 980# tension for  1/4" EHS that is 2546# just for the top guys at a
30 degree angle and 2078 for the set at 45 degrees or a total of 4625#
or a bit over 2 1/4 tons in addition to the tower weight.  This is
neglecting wind loads, twisting moments, and up here ...Ice.  So going
to EHS over Phyllistran would more than double the pull on the tower
raising cables.

73

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com