Re: [TowerTalk] Coaxial Moxon

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coaxial Moxon
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:54:21 +0100
All that Dan says, plus......

...... the Reflector has the Inner and Braid shorted at both ends. There
is no way for differential-mode currents to be excited in the Reflector
coax so there can be no "velocity-factor shortening". The only thing
that will cause any shortening (maybe 5%) is the insulating jacket of
the coax. By cutting the Reflector to 66% of normal size, but with no
velocity factor effect to compensate, the Reflector resonance will be
way high and it will not operate like a Moxon.

This is not just my "theorising" - I measured these things in my search
for a broadband Hexbeam Reflector. Using RG58 did just as I expected - a
slight shortening due to the jacket, and slightly more bandwidth because
it was "fatter".

Even the "inventor" can't decide how the Reflector should be connected -
compare the HamUniverse diagram with the same antenna on the Moxon site:
http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/n0khqmoxon.htm

Finally - lumped component loading at the feedpoint produces much better
results - you can build a coil with less loss than the stub without
really trying! You also get better bandwidth because the coil reactance
doesn't shift as quickly with frequency as the stub does. You'll
sacrifice the convenience of having the inductive loading integral with
the dipole arms - on the other hand you don't have heavy coax to contend
with. Oh, and the SWR will get worse - a sure sign that the antenna is
more efficient!

By all means build one if you want to learn about antennas. As many
others have done, you'll quickly learn that this one doesn't work!

73,
Steve G3TXQ