Re: [TowerTalk] steel fence post

To: Skip K3CC <k3cc@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] steel fence post
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:31:41 -0400
Skip K3CC wrote:
> Ok, I made a call and this is what my fence man said. He uses Wheatland
> steel fence material  wt 40 or 30
>
> Also  it's heavy duty gate post not fence post material
>
> I also checked a piece that was cut and I see no welding inside the tube. I
> still could be wrong ??????

IF and I emphasize the if, it is welded it is a very low profile weld
(material is money and when you make hundreds of miles of the stuff a
low profile weld can save a lot of money). In mine you might miss it if
you didn't know it was there. You can usually feel it sliding your
finger around the inside of the tube as well, just don't forget to
de-burr it first. <:-))
>  Strength  abt 80,000psi bending and lowest is 50,000

It's quite strong but also flexible with the thin wall.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)