Re: [TowerTalk] guying temporary towers

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guying temporary towers
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:11:56 -0400
K wrote:
> I would appreciate the plans on any portable tower made out of tubing either
> PVC or pump PIPE.

It's very much like the crank up pole shown in a link posted on here a
while back.  I'll try to find the link, but I hope some one comes up
with it.  I do have photos of the PVC pole from this years FD which I
plan on putting up on my page.  He even had an inexpensive winch on the
side and used poly rope.  The rope goes from the winch to a bracket
mounted pulley on that section of pipe, then down between that section
and the one inside. There is a pulley on the bottom of the inside
section and the rope runs over it and up to the top of that section
where there is another bracket mounted pulley where the rope runs back
down to the pulley on the bottom of the next section.  This is just
repeated with each section and provides a 2:1 mechanical advantage for
lifting the sections.  Being PVC it of course does require guying and is
more than a little flexible even with 3" and 4" schedule 40.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)