Re: [TowerTalk] Happy news for a change

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Happy news for a change
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:00:08 -0400
It all depends on where you live and how they interpret the ordinance.
If the inspector says the antenna is the structure then it doesn't
matter if it's on a mast of what ever.  That's the height limit at 55'

Here in Home Township (West of Midland and against the city limits) the
tower is defined as the structure (Not what you put on it) and is now
apparently limited to 100' without a permit. It was 80' when I put mine
up so it required a permit. Above that a permit and properly engineered
installation is required. (They accepted the specs in the ROHN catalog)
  Set backs also apply for safety. IE if the thing falls over it has to
land on your property...unless you obtain a written wavier from the
neighbor(s) on whose property it might fall.

The ordinance is spelled out pretty well, but I asked any way.  They
don't care what I put on top of the tower for mast and antennas or how
tall a mast I use.  My insurance company would, but they don't.  Nor do
they care if I put a single TV antenna up there, or a full size 4L 40
meter Yagi.

So here, unlike Wyoming the over all height isn't regulated, only the
supporting structure which is the tower.

But you ask a VERY GOOD question.   The Wyoming City ordinance
reads:

        (a)   Noncommercial facilities.  Equipment required to operate
        and maintain building and fire or parapet walls, skylights, towers,
        steeples, stage lofts and screens, flagpoles, chimneys,
        smokestacks,  individual domes, water tanks and other similar
        structures, may be erected above the height limits of the district.
        Except for commercial radio, television or transmitting or relay
        antenna towers, no such structure may be erected to exceed by
        more than 20 feet, the height limits of the district in which it is
        located nor shall such structure have a total area greater than
        25 percent of the roof area of the building, nor shall such structure
        be used for any other purpose other than as incidental to th

>    But, I think it is up for grabs either way  (absent
> any Appellate Court precedence in such cases...)

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)