Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Question
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:00:52 -0500
Mal

I'm not Dennis, but I think I can answer your questions.

The 175 feet number comes from the length required to get the resistive
part of the feedpoint impedance of the L close to 75 ohms.  The
capacitor is used to cancel the reactive portion of the impedance and
you are left with a good match for 75 ohms.   That 75 ohm resistive part
also varies with the length of the vertical section and how much the top
wire slopes, so you have to analyze the exact configuration to figure it
out.  This results in a single capacitor matching system, and that
capacitor can tune the resonant frequency of the L across the whole band.

Why 75 ohm cable?  Often 75 ohms TV hardline is available for free (if
you're lucky).

The best option for an L is to have the vertical section as tall as
possible.  That minimizes ground loss.

Jerry, K4SAV