Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

To: Eugene Jensen <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:54:14 -0500
Eugene Jensen wrote:
> Take a pick and check to see if there is a hole into the bearning itself. I
> have seen more than once a sealed bearing and no place for the grease to go.
> That might be the reason there was no zerk on it and it was a plug in it
> place. You will hit the race of the bearing shell. Remenber this will turn
> so slow that many different designs have been used. I have a Telex here that
> the thrust is a brass plate that have 2 grooves in it. Worked well well for
> twenty years on a 38 ft crankup tower. 73 Gene K2QWD

ROHN used to sell a wood block for this and I think they still do. An
oiled hardwood block makes a very good thrust bearing as does a smooth,
greased pipe. It  only needs to hold the mast from moving side to side.

Some one asked where it was stated to run the TB series dry. I think it
was in the flying that came with the bearing, but it's been a very long
times since I saw one.

Roger (K8RI)