Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
From: Steve Maki <StevesLists1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:04:52 -0500
Bill wrote:
<snip>

> One thing I have done with my own tower is to build a triangular bracket
> which is attached at the base plate of the rotator.  The bracket is
> attached to the tower legs so that each leg of the bracket is attached
> to two legs of the tower.  This give a longer moment arm for the guys to
> pick up the rotational moments of the antenna system.  Even better would
> be to create a "Y" in the guys near the top so that the moment from the
> rotator is picked up at an angle on the base thus increasing the
> effectiveness of the guys in resisting rotational moments.

The best method for rotational resistance is to run double guys up to
your "star" bracket. My 190' Rohn 80 has 2 levels of double guys with
star brackets and is engineered for four full blown cell sites, (48)
1-5/8" feedlines, plus 2 full size 40 meter beams.

I can't quite see how a Y in the guy near the top will resist rotation
very much...

Steve K8LX