Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

To: Steve Maki <StevesLists1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:06:52 -0800
Steve Maki wrote:
> jimlux wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Putting guys on will inevitably increase the compression loads on the
>> downwind side a bit (from the vertical component of the tension in the
>> guy, even if slack when unloaded, they will develop tension under wind
>> load).
>
> Jim,
>
> BTW, could you clarify that comment a little? I think the peak leg
> compression (which occurs during strong wind in either the guyed or
> unguyed state) is lower when guyed (reasonably), and you yourself worked
> that out with an example a couple years ago, and which seems obvious to me.
>
> Steve K8LX
> _

the guy has some non zero tension, which has to resolve into a
horizontal component (resisting the wind force) and a vertical component
(pushing down on the leg).  The wind force also bends the tower in the
downwind direction, creating a compression load.  And gravity. However,
the bending load will be reduced by the horizontal force from the guy.
So you can probably figure out an arrangement which either improves or
worsens things.

If you throw in the wind loads on the tower itself, and the possibility
of multiple guy levels, it gets pretty complex.