Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Mast

To: waterpower <hoth2o@netecin.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Mast
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:08:36 -0500
waterpower wrote:
> Has anyone tried using schedule 80  PVC to make a 20ft or higher mast to
> support a dipole?  My thoughts are a section of 4" OD, 3" OD and maybe 2" OD,
> overlapping the sections about 2 feet or so.  BTW schedule 80 has a .432"
> wall which is quite thick.

Our club president Lee, KC8TI has build up some portable  (crank up)
masts using PVC for this purpose. It starts with 4" and works down. They
have an inexpensive winch on the side and use 3/16" rope for the
crank-up.  The ones now look quite polished, or well made.  They are
somewhere between 20 and 30', use tie-down straps for guys and are
quickly and easily erected.

I have some photos of them, but   I don't know how much detail of the
construction they show.  I'll try to dig them out and put a couple on my
web page.

Roger (K8RI)