Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning
From: "N7mal" <n7mal@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:17:40 -0000
Jerry have you ever taken a 'direct' lightening strike?? I suspect not
otherwise you would not have made this statement: "" You have a large amount
of damage that should have not happened. "" I had just as much damage
because like Jim we had no warning of an impending storm, so I made no
precautions like disconnecting ant etc.

Now for Jim: This statement is accurate if you multiply it by 100: "" It was
exciting - very loud, bright, and the house shook. ""
When it happened to me my XYL and I were watching TV in the living room. The
only thing louder than the lightening strike was when I jumped out of my
chair and yelled "OH SH*T". I've never seen anything as 'white' as the light
from the strike.
Jim you also said: "" but measurements from the ground indicate the remote
switch, rotor, and SteppIR are damaged "" Measuring anything from the ground
is totally meaningless. I found lightening had made a path through the
RG213. I've since used it as a couple of radials for the 40M vert.

Finally Steve said: "" You  could be candid with your insurance folks  "".
Insurance companies are not in business to pay claims, especially extended
claims. I'm almost 70 years old and I got a real awakening dealing with the
insurance company. It was the first time ever I had a homeowners policy
claim. Hopefully/maybe this summer I will get the last of the checks, after
more than 2 years. I had more/less the same kind of damage Jim had. The
insurance company just tried to compound the problems by trying to shift
blame etc.

As I said to you Jim in an earlier email, "" Good luck......your fun has
just begun""
73

MAL
N7MAL