[TowerTalk] non functioning wind turbines Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 74,

To: Mike <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] non functioning wind turbines Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 74, Issue 30
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:57:46 -0800
Mike wrote:
> Because a couple in the middle of a line would be working and others in the
> same line are not. That and the blades lying on the ground where they fall
> on many others.
>
> There are ones I have never seen work in 18 years of going past them
> everyday, that why we know!!
>
> Mike

Some decades ago, there was a flurry of wind turbine activity (on
Altamont pass for instance), but a lot of the things were economically
unviable, and were done for tax purposes, etc. Lots of stuff built, and
then the builder/mfr went out of business, leaving dead or partly
functional windmills scattered about.

The modern wind business has learned from the mistakes.. And technology
has greatly improved too.  Today, three phase converters are basically a
commodity item, while in 1988, it would have been exotic.