Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse - New Kensington, PA @ K3MJW

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse - New Kensington, PA @ K3MJW
From: lew <lew@dsl-only.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:02:24 -0800
Pete Smith wrote:

>I wasn't suggesting that the old tower wasn't less strong than Rohn 25.  My
>point was that with a guy gone, or alternatively with it having been pulled
>on by a falling tree, in 70 mph+ gusts I'd expect my tower to fail
>similarly.  There are some things nobody can reasonably design for.

    I had a stick of 120' of Rohn 25 guyed every 30' up with Philly.  A
large, previously thought healthy maple went to ground due to wind &
rain. The maple took out the eastern guys at 30' and 60'. The tower
remained up with a serious wow just below the 60' level.  Seemed fairly
stable and I gave transient thought to going up it to save the antennae
on top. I discussed this situation with a group of experienced tower
fellows and promptly dropped the tower without another thought of trying
to "save" the antennae.
    I was also surprised that the tower would have remained upright with
such a force applied but , in the cause for safety, it really didn't
matter.  I've been harvesting the sections when time allows for scrap-
not for rebuilding purposes. I would not trust any of these sections to
be good after the hula dance that they were subjected to.
     73 and I remain,
     Lew    W7EW/W7AT