Re: [TowerTalk] Rigid Steel Conduit as Mast?

To: John Kemker <john@kemker.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rigid Steel Conduit as Mast?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 21:43:30 -0400

John Kemker wrote:
> So, for those of us who are in the process of tower-planning, what
> should we order from the local "metals supermarket" type of supplier to
> use for a 20 ft. mast to hold an HF tribander and a 6m beam?
>
> (Calculated wind load is 6 ft^2 for the tribander and 3 ft^2 for the 6m
> for 9 ft^2 total wind load from the antennas ONLY.)
>
> DeKalb County, Georgia is a 90mph county and I've specced everything out
> so far to 110mph ratings for the tower.
>
> I've found seamless steel tubing, 1/8" walls, non-galvanized, but am
> concerned with how to protect the interior from corrosion if it's not
> hot-dip galvanized?  I can "cold-galvanize" the outside, but the
> interior is a different matter.

After a thorough cleaning, I cap the one end (often with nothing more
than sheet plastic and tape) , pour in about a pint to a quart of
Rustoleum., cap the other end and then roll it while tipping the ends up
and down to thoroughly coat the inside.  It's still working after 6
years, OTOH it's no where near as good as hot dipped galvanizing, nor
will it last as long..

If the metal is thoroughly cleaned and etched I'd prefer a two part
Acrylic or Epoxy paint to the Rustoleum.

73

Roger (K8RI)