Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser IS-RCT to SPGP

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser IS-RCT to SPGP
From: John Kemker <john@kemker.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:26:30 -0400
Aluminum has 60% of the conductivity of copper.  That's not "almost the
same."  In order to get the equivalent conductivity out of aluminum, you
have to make it thicker, which isn't always the best choice, based upon
the skin effect of lightning conduction.  For good mechanical
properties, screw your copper to MDF and utilize that material's
mechanical properties.  That's what PolyPhaser does.  That's what is
recommended by I.C.E. as well.  Engineers who design lightning
protection systems for large installations generally recommend copper
ground plates, not aluminum, for that very reason.

Of course, not every engineer designing lightning protection systems is
going to specify copper for ground plates.  Also, there's lots of people
out there using aluminum who have not had problems with lightning.  This
is just my opinion, based upon the information available to me.  Make
your own decision.

--
--JohnK
73 de W5NNH

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090611-0, 06/11/2009
Tested on: 6/12/2009 12:26:31 PM