[TowerTalk] Chicken Wire Ground Screen

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chicken Wire Ground Screen
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:06:29 -0400
I know that there are several folks out there who are using chicken wire
ground screens in addition to radials for their verticals.  I'm curious
to know if the various sections of chicken wire are (1) soldered to one
another and (2) to the radial system?  I'd guess if the chicken wire
sections were overlapped at their edges, there would be a high
probability of their making contact somewhere along their length so that
soldering wouldn't be unnecessary.  No?

I presume that the lifetime on the ground for the chicken wire is
relatively short?  Two-three years?  OTOH, wouldn't the remnants of the
wire and its degradation products enhance the conductivity of the soil
surrounding the antenna so that the remaining radials are now more
effective?

Just curious to know what your collective experiences and thoughts are
on this subject.

Thanks for your input.

73, Joe
K2XX