Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inc

To: Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inch Pistol Drill for tower tilting ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:14:02 -0400

Dennis Vernacchia wrote:
> John,
>
>   Yes I am thinking the Hoel Hawg an option but will rent one before I buy
> and have to bring back
> if speed is not right for our system. Stores here are not fond of returning
> electrical items especially tools !

Well, with a 50:1 ratio on the winch and a 300 RPM drill that means the
winch will make 6 RPM or turns per minute.  Sounds Kinda slow, BUT how
many turns does it take to tip the tower over, or raise it?

If you need more torque and speed you may have to order one. OTOH I
don't know how many foot pounds or inch pounds you need.  What's your
old drill have for torque.  I've used a a few modern drills that had
plenty of torque. Unfortunately I've burned up a few of them too.
Unfortunately as well, is many of the companies void the warranty if the
torque capacity is exceeded and they do not have torque numbers
available for those drills.

I purchased the largest Dewalt (Hammer drill with variable speed and
function) and actually had flames coming out of it in less than 5
minutes. Of course I was using the extension handle braced on my leg and
hanging on for all I was worth while drilling 3/4" holes in 1/2" thick,
5" I-Beam.

A word of caution, when drilling, cutting holes, or just using a hand
held drill that is geared down to get this kind of torque you can lose a
finger or break something important  I know an electrician who was using
a fairly powerful drill at the top of a distillation tower when the bit
caught. He was not in the best of positions to be properly braced
(working off a ladder on the roof nigh onto 300' above ground)  The cord
had become looped around his right hand so when the bit caught he
couldn't let off of the trigger.   To put it bluntly, it pulled his
right thumb out by the roots.

Using these big, powerful hand drills requires caution, and training
wouldn't hurt. I had one catch at work (years ago) and it was powerful
enough I could not hold it even when properly braced. It didn't break
anything, but it sure hurt!  Always hold one in such a manner that the
trigger can be released if the bit catches. Hold it so the trigger will
not be forced against *anything* if the drill motor starts to turn.  Be
well aware of where the cord is located and keep it well away from all
parts of your body.  Just remember they are *Potentially* dangerous and
even on a winch these are not like the drill motors we normally use.

73 and be careful.

Roger (K8RI)

(PS) Hi John!