Re: [TowerTalk] Newtons to Sq Ft ?

To: Lance <lanceh@futuretk.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Newtons to Sq Ft ?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:53:25 -0700
Lance wrote:
> Is there someone, here, who can direct me, or tell me, how to convert,
> or would convert 600N to sq ft wind load.
>
> I have acquired a Titanex DLP-18, log periodic, and want to make sure
> my tower can handle it.  The only information I can find, is from the
> Titanex
> web site, which states:  600N @ 120km/h.  I can convert the km/h to
> around 75mph.  Titanex has given me, absolutely, no response to numerous
> requests for information.

That's because Titanex is actually giving you useful engineering data..
a load at a velocity.

600 N * 1/4.5 lb/N = 133 lb

You're asking to convert a single data point into an equivalent area,
which, in turn, you're going to estimate loads for a different wind
speed...

The rough approximation is

force (lb) = (mph)^2/391 * area (sf)

so, 133 = 75^2/391 * area -->

About 9-10 square feet flat plate area will produce a force of 600N in a
wind of 120km/hr