Re: [TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:38:40 -0700
That's not really true.  Elevated radials don't have to be resonant for
an antenna to work well, or even be resonant.

It is possible, for example, to have the COMBINATION of the vertical
element and the radials be resonant ... the feedpoint impedance will
just be higher than the classical 33 ohms.  Think off-center fed
vertical dipole, except with a portion of the lower part of the "dipole"
splayed out.  I've built antennas that way and I've modeled them with
EZNEC as well ... it works.  Several hams have compensated for a
not-quite-quarter-wave vertical by making the elevated radials longer
than a quarter wave, and it works the other way as well (longer
vertical, shorter radials).  Either way, tuning is a bit trickier than
if the vertical element and the radials were each a quarter wavelength,
though.

And, of course, if the combination of the vertical element and the
radials is not resonant, it will still work fine if you use the proper
matching network to feed it.

As far as feeding a vertical element against a yagi for a ground plane
.... well, that's pretty much a crap shoot and it would take a lot of
trimming of the vertical element if you want to make it resonant.

73,
Dave  AB7E