Re: [TowerTalk] dipole configuration

To: Blair S Balden <blair.balden@wmich.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dipole configuration
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 16:23:33 -0800
Blair,

You've gotten some good inputs on your question.  Vertical polarization
is definitely the way to go on 160m.  Given your space constraints, the
K2KQ "Double-L", would be a good antenna for you.  See
http://www.yccc.org/Articles/double_l.htm and
http://www.yccc.org/Articles/Antennas/K2KQ/DBL-L.PPT   K2KQ shows a dual
band (80-160) version, but you can just leave off the 80m wires if that
band isn't of interest.  If you can't get the full height, you can
lengthen the horizontal wires to keep the total length the same.  The
impedance will be a bit lower with less vertical height.

N0HR has done some modeling of this antenna and includes radiation
patterns: http://www.n0hr.com/160m%20and%2080m%20Double%20L.htm

This antenna has a lot of low angle signal, but also fills in the null
somewhat at high angles, making it good for short haul work, too.  It
will have a lot more bandwidth than an approach using loading coils and
much more efficient than a low dipole.

73, Terry N6RY