Re: [TowerTalk] M2 20M5 SWR - WX0B SIXPACK

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 20M5 SWR - WX0B SIXPACK
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:45:09 -0500
N2TK, Tony wrote:
> Does anyone have the part number of the relays used in the 6-pack? We have
> intermittent problems at KP2 with a 6-pack. Usually cleaning the relays once
> in a while alleviates any problems during the contest. Maybe there is an
> enclosed relay that would be better for salt environments and is a direct
> replacement?
>
> 73,
> N2TK, Tony

The contact material of relays plays a big part here.  Contacts that are
designed to switch  microvolt
level signals, do not handle power  well.  Conversely,  power contacts
can build up  oxides  which
prevent receive signals getting through.  Some have advocated passing a
small DC current through
the contacts to keep them clean.

73, Roger

--