Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of wire mesh...

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of wire mesh...
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:55:24 -0500
I think this conversation is covering two types of wire mesh.  One is
the light to medium weight galvanized. The other that is used for
concrete reinforcement is much heavier, made up of 1/4" rods and welded
at each cross junction and there is no coating on it. At least that is
what went into my driveway. There is a lighter version made of 1/8" rod
as well.  Properly installed I don't see why it wouldn't work well in
the concrete for a tower base.  Be it re-rod or heavy mesh it's only
real purpose is to keep the concrete from breaking. It basically floats
within the concrete and junctions are usually nothing more than light
weight steel wire of about #16 in size that serves to hold the separate
pieces of re-bar in place.

I have one of the old, detailed catalogs with lots of engineering
information, but as we are getting ready to remodel the den/ham shack I
only know it's stored in some box, some where in the basement.

IOW I can not vouch that they did or did not refer to the heavy mesh in
the catalog.

73

Roger (K8RI)