Re: [TowerTalk] Band Color Codes

To: n4zr@contesting.com, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Band Color Codes
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:20:41 -0800
Pete Smith wrote:
> I use what you describe as simple mapping, Tony.  I also use similar
> coding for control cable wiring (numerical order = color code order).

The other scheme is to use P-touch labels with big letters (1/4" high
works nicely on RG-213 (.405" od) coax) and put a piece of clear
heatshrink over it to hold it in place.

Color codes are great as long as you remember what the codes mean, and
they make sense to others.  For a Field Day sort of operation, I'd go
for actual text, so people don't have to remember whether the color
codes are the band numbers, or the sequence from 160 (e.g. 160=1, 80=2,
60 = 3, etc.)

If you have multiple antennas or things in the same band, then the color
code starts to get complex. Unless you go to a straight serial number
sequence;so if you have a rats nest of cables, at least you know that
the cable labeled 35 on one end corresponds to the 35 on the other end.

I think there are weatherproof P-touch type labels available now, too.