Re: [TowerTalk] RFC400

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFC400
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:14:05 -0800
Kurt Cathcart, KR2C wrote:
> Here is a link to the spec sheet for the cable.
> http://www.shireeninc.com/images/cables/coaxcable-sheet.pdf
>
> It appears to me like it's the same as the Times product and the vendor
> tells me it is made in the same factory.  I know it's all just numbers
> on paper so I'm looking to see if anybody has any experience with it.
>
> -Kurt
> KR2C

slightly echoing K9YC's comments..
"made in same factory" could mean that "made without QA folks because
you didn't want to pay for them, and we use a different source for the
plastic loaded into the extruder"

Contract cable manufacturers (of which there are many) are happy to do
as much or as little as you want. Some 15 years ago, I was thinking
about getting garishly colored coax and extension cords custom marked
with name and call sign.. just the thing for field day, or, in my case,
busy job sites where you never seemed to come home with what you
brought, so I spent some time at a local cable and wire plant. (I was
also looking at developing some very low inductance cables for high
power fast pulses) Fascinating stuff. By the way, you can get any bulk
cable from anyone hot stamped with your callsign pretty cheaply.  Back
then, it was something like a $50 fee to setup the wheel, and then it
was like a penny a foot or something to run it through the machine. So
you could buy that reel of LMR400 and have it stamped KR2C every
3inches, if you like.