Re: [TowerTalk] Don't use Kerosene on roofs, was WD40

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Don't use Kerosene on roofs, was WD40
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 02:34:04 -0500

David Gow wrote:
> Counterpoint:  Kerosene does not interfere with oil based paint adhesion.
> My dad used it for years on barns and outbuildings.
Agreed, but today nearly all interior and a high percentage of exterior
paint is Latex which doesn't stick to oily surfaces worth a darn.

I needed some *solvent based* two part epoxy for the shop floor as well
as the garage and shop aprons.  I finally had to order it because all I
could find at the big box stores and hardware were water based, low VOC
which is neither what I wanted or needed.  Of course the stuff I really
needed was full of nasty chemicals that aren't good for you and require
a fresh air supply and hood if used indoors (where no sparks or open
flames are accessible)

I finally found a local, industrial paint supplier who could get in on
24 hour notice AND at well less than half the price at the big box
stores...which still wasn't cheap.

73

Roger (K8RI)