Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:12:25 -0400

Stan Stockton wrote:
> Just my opinion....  1.5 inch schedule 40 may be fine if you have some
> big tribander or 35 foot monobnder and it is mounted right above the
> top bearing.  If you are stacking antennas on the mast, forget it.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm shows a tribander at
100', 7L 6-meter Yagi at 115 and a 14' cross boom at 130' holding a pair
of 11L on 440 and pair of 12L 144.  That all on 2" schedule 40 but it's
structural steel.  It's a bit flexible with the top looking like a blue
gill rod that just tied into a big Bass, but it's withstood over 70 mph
winds and many occasions.

I'm going to a heavier wall DOM so it doesn't beat the antennas to
death, but strength wise it seems to have been more than sufficient.
OTOH it's not ordinary schedule 40 pipe which is relatively soft and
easily bent.

73

Roger (K8RI)