Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2" O.D. Pipe???
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:47:51 -0700
Michael Ryan wrote:
> Sorry, but I not one to want to flirt with disaster. A pipe is either to
> smoke or run water through.  But you are free to take your choice. If you
> want to keep an antenna up put it on a mast, one made for your needs, and
> one made for the size clamps, thrust bearing, etc. There's an old saying
> that dates back to the turn of the century. "You pays your money and you
> takes your choice".  Good luck.  - Mike

hardly flirting.  That's what engineering is. Look at the loads, look at
the material, if the load is less than the failure load of the material
in the configuration it's being used in, then it's not disaster.

If you don't want to do engineering, *then* you do the cookbook approach.

Your aphorism is correct, though.  You might "pay" in spending the time
in doing the engineering. Or you might "pay" in buying materials.

it's using pipe without doing ANY analysis that's the chancy thing.