[TowerTalk] Fulton K2550 Winch Friction Brake Heat

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fulton K2550 Winch Friction Brake Heat
From: Rob Santello <K6DQ@ARRL.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:02:37 -0700
Hello List,

   TriEx LM-354 with a Fulton K2550 winch. Just wondering how hot the
friction brake should get while lowering the tower. When cranking at a
reasonable rate, the brake gets pretty hot at about half way down and by
two thirds down, it's pretty much too hot to touch. Is this somewhat
normal and how hot is too hot? Should I limit the rate such that the
brake is never too hot to touch or is that much heat not a problem? The
fear of course is having that brake fail and the handle slip out of my
hand while lowering...

Thanks for any feedback,
--rob--
K6DQ