Re: [TowerTalk] Moving big rocks

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Moving big rocks
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 09:42:07 -0700
Steve,

Several alternatives as these are about 1+ tons.  For smooth boulders
the following have worked for me;

If you can get a tractor/dozer nearby with a winch it is easiest to skid
them along with a chain wrap on the rock.

If there is a hardpoint available, attach come-alongs or a chain fall to
the chains and skid them by the armstrong method.  A piece of plywood
under the rock makes it much easier to skid rocks on most dirt.  You
might be able to use your truck hitch as a hardpoint if the rock is
really up on top of the ground.  It's a toss-up as to which will move,
block the wheels, set the brakes.

Levers and blocking.  At 1 ton you can move them an inch at a time with
a 36" long crowbar under one corner.  Use a steel plate for the fulcrum
point.  It's slow but works.

Break up the rock with splitting feathers.  You'll need the feathers and
a good hammer drill to drill the pilot holes.  You might find these and
some expertise at a local gravestone, quarry or stone sculptor. Reading
the rock grain so it splits easily is an art.  Breaking up the rock
might make the moving harder though.  My contribution to this approach
was to drill and hammer in feathers where the sculptor told me to.

Get a blaster to drill and dynamite, although these are on the small
size for this big gun approach.  The most fun to watch.

If they are solid/granitic rocks the jackhammer probably won't work,
they are just too hard.

Grant, KZ1W