Re: [TowerTalk] Moving big rocks

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>, hanslg@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Moving big rocks
From: Paul_group <paul_group@greenrover.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:12:33 +0100
hanslg@aol.com wrote:
>  I remember some years ago how a guy use to drill a hole in the rock and then
> put a soldering iron (yes). The heat from the iron make cracks in the rocks,
> cracks big enough to take the rock apart. I never tried it but believe it may
> work. Worth a try.
>
> 73 de,
>
> Hans - N2JFS

For several thousand years man has cracked rock by fire setting.

There is a copper mine here where man was working at -100 feet and
carbon dating shows circa -4000 years.

The technique was to dig down vertically  to the rock then a dig
ventilation level , fill with wood, drop burning bracken and heather
down the shaft and let it go. At some stage the ventilation level was
sealed and water poured into the hole.

I have seen the enormous fractures created by this technique and have to
say it compares favourably with the PE we used for cave exploration.

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com