Re: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registr

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registration
From: Neil & Heather <neil.goodell@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:23:28 -0400
On 4/2/2010 8:51 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> Dick Dievendorff wrote:
>> I'm not trying to avoid FAA registration. I'd much rather apply now than
>> after I've spent money putting up a tower that ends up being one that I
>> can't keep.
>>
>> My question was to find out how to apply.  Now I've filed the FAA form, and
>> I thank Neil for the pointer to the FAA web page.
>>
>> "Not too far" means I thought it might be close enough that I should ask the
>> question. I'm not posing as an expert as to whether the FAA should be
>> concerned or not. I used the FCC tool, found out I might need to apply, so
>> I've applied.  I have no desire to create a hazard, and I'm quite willing to
>> file their application.
>
> Now that's a good attitude.

Glad to help Dick, good luck!
You'll have documentation in hand,with FAA's blessing,
which will help "deter" any future questions about your site.

And Roger, I agree,about the exceptions....
I know for a fact I could have gotten by with them...
but, in my case..it was the Town that insisted
I file with the FAA.
When I talked with the Building inspector, who is also a good friend,
the first thing he did was pull out the map of the airport,with the
20,000 ft and 10,000 ft slope overlays, looked at my Qth, saw that I was
only 5000' away, and said that if I wanted to go higher than 30',
I had to file with the FAA, and, as far as he was concerned, what ever
their determination was, would be okay with him.
(hence, no permit, no town paperwork,no inspections, just the letterhead
from FAA was good enough for the Town to let me build.

I would imagine it is different with every town/city that has an airport
within.
For me, personally, it was better to just file...even though I know
I had the exception in the bag,and wait for the FAA's determination,
and let the sleeping dog ("the town")lay,
then to hit it upside the nose in defiance....who knows the
red tape and "town fee's" that might have created!! :)

73
Neil
AE1P